Have you been charged with a drink driving offence?
Driving when over the legal limit, exceeding PCA, refusing to accompany police or to supply a breath sample, driving under the influence of drugs, and driving impaired are just a list of the main charges that can be made against a person under the Road Safety Act.
At Rowan Skinner and Associate Lawyers, we can work as your drink driving defence lawyer in Melbourne. Whether your goal is to contest the charge, try to retain your license, apply for a reduced sentence or take other action, we can provide you with professional advice and represent you in court if necessary.
Contesting a drink driving offence is often one of the more complex matters as there are many sub sections in the Victorian Law relating to driving when drunk or intoxicated.
Reasons For A Drink Driving Defence
There are many reasons a drink driving offence may be contested, some of which are stronger than others. Some reasons to try and get out of a drink driving charge are:
- Police error while using a breathalyser machine;
- Breathalyser machine error (this would need some supporting evidence);
- Contested results from a blood alcohol concentration. This usually applies when a reading is taken some hours after a traffic incident;
- Factual dispute in regard to supplying a breath sample or accompanying police for testing;
- Legal advice provided by a police officer in relation to your offence;
- Contesting who was in control of the vehicle; and/or
- Police discouraging you from obtaining a blood test.
There are also other examples of ways a drink driving lawyer may be able to help you. If you want advice, then it is best to call us and discuss your situation further.
How To Contest A Drink Driving Charge
If you have been charged with drink driving and contact us for assistance in your case, we will follow the below procedure as an example:
- Firstly we will speak to you about happened and why you think you may not be guilty of an offence. If you have a valid cause for contest, then we can assist in the next steps;
- Our traffic lawyers will request the evidence the police have compiled against you and examine what is presented;
- After this we will discuss with you your interpretation of the evidence presented;
- Then we will consider the best way to contest your case if it is still considered plausible; and
- We will then provide you with legal advice and the potential outcomes of various actions and proceed as instructed by you.
The best way to begin the process is for you to contact a drink driving lawyer such as us at Rowan Skinner and Associate Lawyers. We commonly represent clients in Northcote, Brunswick, Fitzroy, Carlton and Clifton Hill in relation to drink driving and other traffic offences. Call on (03) 9995 9155 to arrange a free initial consultation.
What our clients are saying
I regularly refer my clients to Rowan Skinner and Asc when they need representation. My clients have consistently had excellent advice and successful outcomes through Rowan’s representation at Court and when negotiating settlements. These proven results in combination with Rowan’s personal ability to engage with a diverse range of people, ensures that I will continue to refer my clients for assistance with legal matters.
Rowan represented me in the Magistrates Court and the County Court in relation to very serious charges. Rowan was thorough, professional and diligent in his preparation and responded appropriately to my needs. I was acquitted of all charges.
I run a commercial law practice and frequently refer clients to Rowan for assistance and advice with family law. Rowan is a family law specialist: this means he is independently verified as having required skills and clients can have confidence in his ability and ethical standards.
I have a Mortgage Broking business with a large number of clients who having varying needs. I have referred many clients who want an excellent Family Law Specialist to look after them during what are difficult times. I have even referred family members to Rowan as I know he will look after them compassionately and professionally. I have no hesitation in recommending him and his services.