If you are going through a divorce and there are children involved, it is more likely to become complicated. Our child custody lawyers can help.
Deciding who will have custody of your children, shared care arrangements and other agreements will all need to be negotiated by both parties. If this can not happen, then the court will decide on your child’s parenting arrangements.
Watch: How does the court make parenting orders?
As experienced child custody lawyers in Melbourne, we can help you negotiate with your ex-partner, so that an agreement about custody can be reached. We can also represent your interests in the Family Court if necessary.
If the court decides who will have custody of your children, the decision will be made based on two primary considerations, along with a set of other considerations specific to each case.
The primary considerations are
- The benefit of the child having a meaningful relationship with both parents
- The need to protect the child from physical or psychological harm, including domestic violence
Other considerations include
- Views expressed by the child, depending on age and maturity level
- The nature of the relationship between the child and their parents or other significant persons
- The capacity of each parent to provide for the needs of the child
- The likely effect of changes in the child’s living circumstances
- The cultural background of the child and their parents
- And many more
Getting advice from a child custody lawyer can help you make decision based on facts. This information will be much more reliable than what you can receive from friends and the internet. If you need to speak with a child custody lawyer in Fairfield, Northcote, Kew or the surrounding suburbs, you should contact us.
Parents In Child Custody Proceedings Should Consider
- where will your children live and how will time be shared?
- what kind of education do you intend them to receive?
- how do your and your partners current work arrangements affect your living situations?
- where and when will your children spend time with other family members?
- do your ideas have the ability to remain flexible and do they consider changes in the future?
- how will the arrangement function so you or your child can attend extra-curricular events?
To speak to a child custody lawyer in Melbourne that can help you plan for realistic answers to the above questions, contact us today. We are accredited family law specialists who understand the complexities of parenting arrangements and custody issues. Call (03) 9995 9155 for a free fifteen minute initial appointment.
What our clients are saying about our family law service
I regularly refer my clients to Rowan Skinner and Asc when they need representation. My clients have consistently had excellent advice and successful outcomes through Rowan’s representation at Court and when negotiating settlements. These proven results in combination with Rowan’s personal ability to engage with a diverse range of people, ensures that I will continue to refer my clients who need a family lawyer in Melbourne.
Rowan represented me in the Magistrates Court and the County Court in relation to very serious charges. Rowan was thorough, professional and diligent in his preparation and responded appropriately to my needs. I was acquitted of all charges.
I run a commercial law practice and frequently refer clients to Rowan for assistance and advice with family law. Rowan is a family law specialist: this means he is independently verified as having required skills and clients can have confidence in his ability and ethical standards.
I have a Mortgage Broking business with a large number of clients who having varying needs. I have referred many clients who want an excellent Family Law Specialist to look after them during what are difficult times. I have even referred family members to Rowan as I know he will look after them compassionately and professionally. I have no hesitation in recommending him and his services.